We are in full-on Christmas mode around here as “Baby It’s Cold Outside” is starting to play, and we've begun to crave something warm and soothing. As far as we are concerned, it's hot chocolate season.
As any chef knows, a recipe is only as good as its creator. Many people have bad feelings towards white chocolate whether one thinks it's not healthy or just dislike the taste outright. We feel as an ingredient in a recipe, white chocolate has a place in your kitchen.
There is a range in quality of chocolates out there, and this recipe calls for using one of the best, Valrhona's Blonde Dulcey. If you substitute with a different white chocolate, expect a different taste.
Whether or not you consider white chocolate is real chocolate, we hope you consider this recipe a real winner. To really get the flavor of the orange, you must let the peels steep for at least 15 minutes. Simple to make and well worth the wait. We hope you agree. Happy holidays.
Holiday Inspired Orange Spiced Hot Chocolate Recipe
6 oz. milk
2.25 oz. VALRHONA BLONDE DULCEY**
orange peel from half an orange
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
half cap vanilla extract
1. Using a sharp paring knife, cut long peels of half an orange, avoiding the white part of the peel.
2. Heat milk over stovetop and drop in orange peels, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. Get milk hot, almost to boiling, then turn off heat and cover for at least 15 minutes.
4. Uncover, add chocolate, and reheat. Stir until all the chocolate has melted. The milk should thicken slightly.
5. Turn off heat, add vanilla and stir.
6. Use a sieve and pour into cup and enjoy
**Whatever you do, never substitute a different type of white chocolate for this recipe. If you do, expect a vast difference in taste.